Sunday, November 28, 2010

Laos

It was pretty nice of Jen to let me have it my way for once. I was actually really surprised!

I hope Holly's okay right now.

December 2007
Laos

That morning, Noy had arrived late at the hotel, but it was okay. It wasn't like I had something else to do.

We rode on her motorcycle all the way to Wat Pahakounoy. It was the Buddhist temple that her aunt lived. Her aunt was the nun that opened the spa that Jen and I went to the other day.

As Noy and her aunt talked for a bit, her aunt returned back into the temple to cook rice for the monks.

Noy led me along the dirt path and into the temple and explained how all boys had to go into the life of monk for a year. Then, they had a choice to become a monk forever or not.

As we entered into the garden and Noy's aunt had returned from her duties, Noy's aunt had asked me why I was here. (Noy translated for us back and forth.) I said that I was writing an article on the herbs she used to help relax and cure other illnesses. Noy's aunt explained that after she became a nun, she was taught under a monk who taught her about the herbs.

After she explained how the herbs helped with relaxing at the spa, I donated about $6 to the temple. It was the least I could do since she helped me with my article.

Noy and I returned back to Vientiane on her motorcycle.

The next day, Jen, Carter, and I were on the bus to Vang Vieng.

Carter had talked about river tubing in Vang Vieng, and that was exactly what we were going to do.

The natives of Vang Vieng had built a water park on Nam Song. For only $3, we rented all that we needed to go river tubing.

We put our tubes in the river and drifted along the river. It was so relaxing. I felt like I was in some sort of paradise.

The next day, Carter said that he was bringing me and Jen to Luang Prabang (where Jen and I originally wanted to go).

Jen, Carter, and I wandered the streets. I don't know why, but this city definitely had an air of mystery. Its atmosphere attracted me and I loved it. It was beautiful and mystifying all at the same time.



Lao Pop


No comments:

Post a Comment