Saturday, November 27, 2010

Kiminini, Kenya

We've posted a lot about Kiminini, Kenya, but don't worry. This is the last journal entry for Kenya.

Since going to Kenya was my idea, I'll be the one to end the journal entries of Kenya here. Jen Baggett will wrap this up.

October 2007
Kiminini, Kenya

I had learned a lot of things here in Kenya. First of all, I learned how to wash my clothes with just buckets of water. It took a while by watching Joshua's wife do it and by practicing it myself.

After days of practicing the play Amanda, Holly, and I wrote for our boarders, they all finally memorized their lines and performed perfectly. We felt like proud parents. We were happy that we made such a difference in the lives of these boarders. Even if we just spent time with them, we made a huge impact. The shy girls were becoming bold and everyone was friends with everyone else. No one was left out, and everybody got along well.

The night before we left for our next country, we decided to cook a meal for Joshua, his family, the boarders, and all of the staff that helped with all of the cooking. We decided to cook tacos.

We were used to the bugs around and didn't freak out when we saw a cockroach or two.

When we finished cooking, everyone crowded in to taste our cooking. They loved it! Everyone kept asking for more of the guacamole that Amanda had cooked. We all laughed and played. The boarders danced and we all cheered for them.

I had never imagined that leaving them would be so difficult. The thought of leaving them always wanted to make me cry, but I had to stay strong. We made a difference in all of the boarders' lives and they made a difference in ours.

I was glad that I brought along Holly and Amanda. I was glad to have met all of these wonderful people in Kenya. I was so happy to finally have reached my dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment